Saturday, October 21, 2006

Day 2 and 3

I 'm combining Day 2 and Day 3's posts together, here's why:

Day 2

Today I decided to use the OptiMINDzation CD more heavily.
I was late for class and so only made use of it for 20 minutes in noon because I couldn't commit a full hour for it after waking up. After my last lecture, I returned to my hostel and dropped dead and slept at 4 til 9. Before going to bed (10 pm), I made up for the time lost by doing a full hour of OptiMINDzation. Again nothing obvious was noticed in performance and mental clarity. However I did feel that my ears strained a little. It could be because of the set of headphones I use. Also, it's easy for me to dose off into sleep as the beats/pulses played are uniform and has very little variety in it. After all, they are just beats.
Try listening to a monotonous newscaster for a full hour at night and you'll know what I mean. Another thing I realize is the rate of beats changes as the CD is being played. It builds up in speed and then slows down again. So, the rhythm wasn't the same from beginning til end.

Moving on, I worked pass my normal bedtime and lost my chance to fall asleep. Everytime I do this, it's hard to sleep and my insomnia kicks in. From my experience, it is no use trying to go to sleep after 2am as I'l just lay there in bed wasting time. The ending is always the same when that happens. Sleeping is impossible until 6am and by 7am I would be extra tired and will die into slumber when I lay on bed. And believe me, that happened many times.

So I decided to go for another hour of OptiMINDzation and again I find it hard to concentrate on the beats from beginning til end. But I made it through anyway. Maybe this is how brain entrainment works. To train yourself to focus on monotonous beats until eash beat is distinct and registers itself clearly to the mind.

Read on, you'll see why I'm telling you all this.
The rest of the night can be summed up as follows:
4 am :"No use going to sleep now"
5 am :"Might as well work a little."
7 am :" Don't Fall Asleep!"
8 am :"Off to class."

So there I go, a complete 12 hour period of sleep deprivation. (9pm of 18th Oct till 11am of 19th Oct) It is usually impossible for me to concentrate in class when that happens. However, I was surprised to find that I was capable of paying attention and focusing on the teaching. This has never occured before and I thought it must be due to OptiMINDzation.
In fact, I went on absorbing the lessons into my head and it lasted me until 11am, of which I took a half an hour's nap and went through the entire day until I return to my hostel at 10pm.

Now, although my mind was able to work during the morning, my body was drained.
I could feel aches at various areas of my body and my eyes strained.
Not to mention a mild headache as well !
All symptoms of sleep deprivation were present, but my concentration was not compromised.
That's why day 2 and 3 are linked together because I did not retire to bed at all !
Yet, it's amazing that I took only half an hours worth of sleep before going through the rest of the day without brain entrainment. I was too busy the rest of the day to commit myself to even a 20 minute session to OptiMINDzation and thus, put in only 10 minutes instead during the night. I have to admit I'm not very consistent in training my brain for this two days.

But, I was pleasantly surprised at gaining some early results after using OptiMINDzation.
Will continue this and see how it goes.

"Watch That Brain"
-Ty Teh

Discover How You Can Raise Your IQ Without Ever Opening a Book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home